16 August 2011

30 Days of Truth: Day 9


Day 9: Someone you didn't want to let go, but just drifted.

I almost changed this to something, but I just thought of someone.....my good ol college pal Jessica.

Jessica is from South Carolina. We both ventured out to college in the great potato capital of the USA...that's right IDAHO! Neither one of us knew anyone else at the school, but had family that we could drive to visit on occasion (but no, we never owned a car out there...so getting to see them was an issue on several occasions). Jessica had family that lived about 30 min. away in Idaho. I had an Aunt & Uncle in Utah about 3.5 hours away.

Jess & I did EVERYTHING together our first year of college. We went to the $1 theater together. We skipped church together. We broke curfew together. We both hid a boy under our beds when roomies unexpectedly came home early (yes...boys were NOT ALLOWED in the bedrooms....strict honor code policy). We both felt like rebels when we wore mens boxers around the courtyard of our dorms on Sundays (first of all, shorts were not allowed b/c of rules. second of all, it was a Sunday...so it pissed people like Brynn...remember her??....off a LOT...he he). We walked to Wal-Mart and carried back laundry detergent and 12 packs of Dr. Peppers in our two laundry baskets UPHILL to the dorms (yes...it was VERY heavy).

We had a LOT of fun together. We did. So what happened? I dunno. We kinda drifted apart I guess, not really meaning to. We both went home after 2 years, graduating with our Associates Degree. She went back out when they changed the college to a 4-year University. By then, my younger sisters were attending school there, too, and they became besties with her. I served a mission in Chile in the meantime. When I came back, she had graduated and I was just starting to pick back up my studies.

We had grown apart somewhat I guess you could say--taken different paths in life. Nowadays she talks to my sisters more than she does me. That used to make me angry, out of jealousy...she was my friend first....right??!! But now, I hear about her from time to time. And I guess that is better than nothing. I emailed her just the other day to ask what Brynn's last name was....and we've chatted back and forth since. It's been nice. Will it continue? Hopefully. She's a sweet southern belle, and it's been nice finding out what she's been up to all this time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope this proves a catalyst for your relationship to rekindle.