10 July 2008

Summer Jobs


Who really gets excited to work during the summer? Not me. I teach Summer School, a basic writing class the first four hours, and a team/relationship building class in the afternoon. I am a person who normally enjoys my job, but summer school is by FAR different. The kids are horrible and I'm ready to scream most days by the time 3 o'clock rolls around.

I would much rather be in front of the tv wasting some time vegging and engrossing myself in mindless entertainment, sleeping in, enjoying a nice morning stroll in the nearby park, enjoy learning all about my sewing machine that hasn't made it outside of it's box, doing some crafts for my new apartment, and my favorite summer activity...go to the pool on a daily basis.

But no, my summers are exactly the opposite. My days are pretty long, and here's the routine:

5:30am - alarm goes off, and I roll (literally) out of bed and get ready for the day
6:30 - I am shuffling my feet downstairs ready for breakfast, only to stare in the fridge and end up with stale cereal (long story) or toast
6:40 - leaving for work
7am - arriving at OJHS, checking in for the day, and going my room (nicknamed the meat cooler b/c the A/C never stops). I'm not sure what the temperature really is, but my thermostat is permanently setting on 75, but we are WAY below that!
7:25 - heading to the gym to supervise kiddos as the come into the building for school
7:45 - picking up kids and lining them up for the day
7:50 - arguing with the regulars who refuse to go into the meat cooler so early in the morning (if I were them, I'd probably be doing the same thing)
7:51-11:25 - teaching my writing course. Let's not forget the other duties I perform on a routine basis (babysitter, mother, listener to millions of tattle-tellers, fight breaker-upper, story teller, encourager, complainer, and on and on...)
9am - potty time for the kids, but not for me! I could do w/o this time. I get more stories of drugs and sex than I'd care to hear in a lifetime. And if I hear one for time anything about Lil' Wayne or Chris Brown, I'm gonna pull some MORE hair out!
10:45-11:15 - finally, potty break for me, along with lunch! The BEST 30 minutes of my day!
11:30-2:45 - afternoon classes. This is a fun one, although it takes lots of preparation and supervision. We do tons of relay races, and team activities which are GREAT fun, but if you leave a few unsupervised, they would throw the tennis balls down each others throat and beat each other to a bloody pulp. VERY exhausting at the end of a long day.
2:45-3:00 - bus duty. I mostly just shew away kids and yell...GET TO YOUR BUSES...and move them like a huge herd of cattle. I mean, they are all worries about who likes who, and who got kicked out of school, and all that jazz. It's funny to see what I probably did at that age, although I don't admit it too often.
3:00-4:00 - plan for the next day, and most of the time I call some parents and vent on them about their child's behavior. What a PAIN in the next, let me tell ya. NOBODY wants to hear that anything is the fault of their child.
4:00pm - I try to be home to watch Oprah. If not, I'm at home checking email, and playing Scrabulous, checking blogs, paying bills, and prepping for dinner.
6:00 - Steven gets home and I have dinner on the table (so what if it is Wendy's?) and have everything ready for him to just relax.
7:00 - FHE on Mondays + American Gladiators, Tues - Wipeout & I survived a Japanese Game show, Wed - YM/YW evening (yes, Steven & I both got called to be leaders for the youth!), Thurs - baby borrowers and Celebrity Circus, Fri - out-to-eat night for us, and date night.
9:00 - bed time, and I'm a stickler! If I am gonna have somewhat of a positive attitude, I need me quite a bit of sleep. So, by this time I'm in my pj's, teeth brushed & flossed, lunch packed for the next day, and I'm ready catch some z's

Anyone wanna trade schedules with me? C'mon...don't be afraid! My feet ACHE with pain, and I only have one more week left of summer school! Hallelujah Yankee Doodle! I need a massage REAL bad, too. Anyone offering?

I hope your summer is going great, and hopefully better than mine lately...

10 comments:

Elicia said...

Sheesh girl! That made me tired just reading about what you do all day!!! Good luck with the last leg of the journey. Hang in there. You're AMAZING!!

Steve said...

You forgot "From 5:30 in the morning to 9:00, I'm grumpy tell my husband I love him through a complex series of grunts."

I love you so much, babe- you're almost through the woods! Hang in there!

♥♥♥♥♥

Peeser said...

Yeah, different jobs, different stresses. People sometimes look at me like I'm crazy when I tell then that working at Cracker Barrel is a nice break from working at school (that's probably because they think I'm crazy for doing both during the school year). After reading about days of summer school like yours, I'm reminded yet again of why Cracker Barrel is a nice break from those crazy students (and while some shifts are crazy to the point of frustration, I think I'd still rather have that and a pocket full of "instant" money rather than no hair because of the students ;)

Hang in there- you're almost done (right?)- and if you don't mind sharing advice, how do you handle all the tattle-tale-ers? I have yet to figure out how to deal with all the tattling that goes on...

Tamara said...

ahhhhh, the tattlers....

I have a sign on my desk that says, "if you're here to tattle, HAVE A SEAT." for real...they always want to tell me who's looking at them, or who is stealing their pencil, or who is tapping their fingers too loudly. If that doesn't work (the sign) then I tell them, "if it's not hurting you or hurting someone else, then I don't need to know about it. You all need to grow up and learn to deal with problems yourself." Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. BUT, it works more often than you'd think.

Beckie said...

I know all about working in an icebox. I live in 125 degree temperatures, yet at work, all I wonder is where I can get my hands on some fingerless gloves.

You have the patience of a saint to deal with that all day during your summer. But I already knew this...you married my brother.

Emily S. said...

#1. I love the comic at the beginning. AMEN!!

#2. DON'T DO IT NEXT YEAR!!!! TAKE A YEAR OFF!!!!

#3. I hate my ss kids, too... Bunch of whiny, lazy, scam artist punks. MAYBE one or two good ones out of every ten.

(I'm so bad for writing that!!)

Do you get any kind of good break between ss and real school?

The Ottley's said...

HA HA HA HA!

Spraz said...

Ya gotta love how summer school kids are the cream of the crop (NOT). Summer school does not exist in Utah, at least not Granite school district. I thought that was weird, but you have clearly illustrated why that is. I sure love ya, and enjoy reading your blog!

Spraz said...

Ya know what I do for tattlers? I plug my ears when they start talking. Ashlee Hoppes gave me that advice, it works for the younger ones at least, and it makes me laugh to watch their reactions.

Reggs said...

oh man, i'm with elicia on this one. I was sitting on my couch, watching TV and eating bon bons and catching up on my blogs. I read this post, and it made me SO SO SO tired, that even though it was only noon, I decided to take a short nap to recover. Then I had to wake up for my massage (dang massages cutting into my naps!)
JUST KIDDING! I wish that were true, but no I wouldn't trade! I hope you get some extra sleep this week, gf!
OH and PS, I was like, "who is chris brown and lil' wayne. they must be the popular kids at her school." yah, I wouldn't be cool at your school.