24 September 2009

Tail-Gate-ing


How do YOU define "Tailgating"?

Coming from TN, we used to tailgate in High School to all of the football games. We'd all meet at the Minute Mart (or was it Mini Mart?), right down the road from our beloved Clarksville High, and get in one LONG line to go to the football game.  We'd have our faces painted, ripped clothing on, posters made, hair up, horns honking, toilet paper/paper mache, painted cars, and lots of YELLING....we were ready to go to the game IN STYLE. Now...the tailgating happened just as it says...we rode in trucks, with the tailgates down, one behind the other.  We rode together, tailgate to tailgate until we arrived to support our team!  Now THAT is what true tailgating is...to me.

However, this weekend, I went to my first Mizzou Football game, and attended my first ever tailgating experience Mizzou style.  Let me tell you something...I was cracking up!  This is where we had to park, and we were 2 hours early:
Not even kidding...the stadium is about a mile in front of us!  And yes...they even had a bike lane for bikers...but I swear it's for game day...so people don't get ran over!!!  So...where does the "tailgating" part come in, you say? ...well, as we headed up the hill, every few cars or so, we'd see a small gap in between the cars (and no...I didn't bust out my camera for a shot or two). People had put out their lawn chairs, plugged in their radios, and busted out their coolers...full of sandwiches and booze!  ha ha ha!!!  I about died...the whole way to the game we heard, "Hi there!  How's it going?  Go Tigers! Go Mizzou!"  It was quite the site. So, they'd open up their "tailgate" or trunk, and eat outta their car, while enjoying lots of CARS passing them by....(hmmmm...doesn't sound like fun to me...am I missing something, here?) 

Anyway, we had on our walking shoes and kept heading up the hill, to meet Steven's work crew (at 10:30am), who'd been "tailgating" since about 8am that morning.  At 12:15, this is what they looked like, all drunk & hootin n hollerin all kinds of obscenities:
They were all parked up in the lot next to the stadium...their SUVs had brought all kinds of food & beverages, and everyone was just chillin!  You know you're Mormon when the first thing that come outta someone's mouth is..."Hey, Steve...how's it going?...aww, man...I don't think I brought sodas with me....there are just a few waters around here somewhere, though."  ha ha ha...at least someone was thinking about us!

Anyway, we went to the game & it was a LOT of fun!  We stayed until half time, and then we left.  Talk about a strange way to tailgate!  But it sure was a good time for good laughs, great fun, and lots of beverages!


7 comments:

Peeser said...

Well, I guess that just goes to show the difference between the high school mentality and the college mentality (which is mostly booze- and sadly that seems to carry further into adulthood... ) As funny as it might have been to watch the Mizzou tailgating (which is the only kind of tailgating I've really ever seen), I like your way better. I think it sounds a lot more fun!

Still, I hope you enjoyed what you saw of the game! Go Mizzou! :)

Marlena said...

It's about time you posted it...Now, that looks like fun doll!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I think the parking lot part is more what I think of as tailgating. Bringing out the chairs, coolers, and even grills and sitting around the tail gate eating and having fun getting ready for the game. You should see some of the stuff Paula Deen takes to a tailgate!

Lady Gwynyfwar said...

Chica, you haven't SEEN tailgating til you've experienced LSU tailgating. They have it down to a fine art. Seriously. People bring campers, BBQ grills, tvs and just chill in the parking lot of the stadium. It's crazy!

Anonymous said...

How come I'm not on your "Stalker List"?!?!?!! Sheesh!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Boojwa said...

I think its time for an update. You've fallen off the face of the earth!