26 September 2008

When Dioramas were cool...

You never know just how good life is until it gets pretty bad.


Lately, I have been losing sleep due to the many demands of living such a busy life. Teaching this year is better than I ever could have imagined. My students are great, and I love seeing them smile and believe in themselves. However, there is a new teacher that moved in next door...and let's just say it's like she came from the 60's and is still there! For crying out loud...she doesn't own a computer, she's just now figuring out how to email, she is scared of Jr. High kids (why she accepted the job, I'll never understand), she cried on my shoulder for at least 30 minutes a day, her students are running around buck wild most days, and you ought to SEE the stretchy pants that this woman tries to pull off!


And I think that I have it bad? Oh no...I have only just begun.


Anyway, to try to be more positive...I'll save the rest of the details for a later post. To be honest, she has 12 years teaching experience. I really don't see how she would've survived student teaching, but whatever. It is my job to help her. OH MY GOSH! What an overwhelming job it has been, to say the least. For three hours I sat in her room today, and all I can say that we got accomplished was next week's lesson plans! And to think that these kids are coming to MY classroom next year...YIKES! What a challenge it will be.


Challenge? You think that I'm kidding here? Let me tell you one that I am currently working on, and feel free to give me suggestions here. Ok, really...I'm begging! So, I get to talking about projects the other day with her, and she says she wants my input on a "fabulous" project that she wants to do: a diorama (did I spell that correctly?). She wants the kids to come in with old magazines, glue, and an old shoebox and they are gonna make dioramas. FOR REAL!!! It was all I could do not to crack up laughing and just walk out the door. Are you kidding me? I can't even remember the last time I made one of those. Kids these days know more about technology than I do, and she wants them to make dioramas to put around the room? Pu-leez!


So what did I do...I just smiled and quickly changed the subject. And you wonder why I'm worried...is it me, or is she really oblivious to our changes in society!

9 comments:

Steve said...

Wow. Dioramas? I mean....dioramas? I think today's version of that would be to graphically design a 3D interactive diorama that you can access from your Blackberry or something.

You're so wonderful for all you're doing for your colleague. I admire you so much, and love you even more!

liz said...

Tamara...all I will say is she really needs a very strict and detailed rubric....good luck!

Reggs said...

LOLOLOL!!! You had me at stretchy pants.

genevieve said...

Oh, I am SUCH a dork! I love dioramas, but I have always kept my passion quiet because I know how passe' they are. When I put up my little Christmas village during the holidays, it's kind of because I miss making those little scenes-in-a-box for Language Arts class!

~genny

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm totally with genny. Kids today need to do some hands on stuff and I don't mean typing a keyboard. Let their brains do the work rather than a computer. And bless you for teaching and helping out with this poor lady. You're a sweetheart.

Tamara said...

ok, so I'm NOT opposed to "hands-on" activities by any means! For real...we teach a language! It is not just typing or writing that shows whether you actually know the language. But c'mon...a diorama? What about a story? skit? commercial? video? presentation? audiovisual something or another? but a shoebox gig.....HECKS no! That is WAY too old-school. Sorry, gals! I totally disagree w/ya.

Anonymous said...

Before we discount the diorama completely, let's all remember Joseph Cornell.

http://gala.univ-perp.fr/~dgirard/Exposes/josephcornell/cornell01.jpg

ollie said...

I say it's about time we got back to the basics! Who needs technology, anyway? lol!

Julina said...

I've seen some pretty cool dioramas recently - done by 3rd graders...

Another factor in the diorama discussion is how much is really a parent's work (the really cool ones, like pinewood derby cars, are probably parental products. Student products - especially in Jr high - are more likely to be half-baked...)

But then, Elise has more stories about attempts at "hands on projects..."

Anyway, hang in there.