06 August 2008

Sofas, Etc.


Several of you know that Steven and I have lived with mostly hand-me-down furniture for the first year of our marriage. We both come from great families and friends who adore us so much they want to GIVE us all of their unwanted furniture and knick-knacks. And don't get me wrong...we have enjoyed it tremendously! We have not had to worry about purchasing too many things since being married and moving...our friends and family have truly blessed us!
So, a couple of weeks ago, we went and purchases a nice set of leathe furniture....a matching sofa & loveseat. We are really happy with our purchase, and they look great in our little living room. Take a look for yourself:

Wait a minute....what are THOSE doing on the sofa? Hmmm....let's take a closer look!

(above) S#1 (polkadots), S#2 w/ stars, S#3 w/ large blue plaid

(above) S#4 (large red plaid), S#5 (sage green plaid), S#6 (small navy plaid)

(above) S#6 (same as above...small navy plaid), S#7 (small red plaid), S#8 (red & green plaid)

Did you guess it? I finished my Christmas stockings....all EIGHT of them! I started them on Wednesday, and finished them on the way up to Nauvoo this weekend in the car. Jeanne, my mother-in-law helped me so much! I found a pattern on-line (after looking forever), but it was just the shape...nothing more! I wanted to line them with fuzzy material, put a cute little toe/heel patch on each one, and add a few extra special touches. Jeanne really helped me work step-by-step and gave me a homework assignment each and every night. I have to admit, it was lots of work, but loads of fun!!

Once they were all completed, I let Steven pick the stocking he wanted to be "his", and I got to pick my favorite next. We both agreed that ONE of them was equally our least favorite and we've agreed to give that one to the child that will be our least favorite!!! (ha ha ha)

Can you guess which stocking belongs to Steven? to Tamara? to our future least favorite child? Refer to the numbers & descriptions above...winner gets something REAL special...I promise!

(sorry Steven...you can't participate)

10 comments:

Michelle said...

You've inspired me. I need to make our family some Christmas Stockings. The blue polkadot one is my fav! I am so jealous of your couches. They are goreous!

Elicia said...

I LOVE the furniture and those sure are cute stockings! I wish that I was that ambitious right now, but having a new little one and moving has taken all I've got for now. Maybe next year.

Julina said...

Awesome - congratulations on both the purchase and the accomplished sewing. Question, though - if one of your children turns out to really, *really* love that "least favorite" stocking, will you disown him/her for inferior taste?

Just kidding :-) I'm glad you were able to figure out a pattern and do such a great job!

Hang in there with the start up of school again...

ollie said...

His is #3, Yours is #7, and the child who will need therapy is #8. So will I win if I'm the only one who plays???

Anonymous said...

Tamara! Hey it's your long lost friend! I love the couches and you are quite the homemaker these days, wow! The stockings are really cute! I am impressed. Love to you! And happy 1st!

Peeser said...

Well, despite the fact that I can't seem to sit on your new furniture without sliding everywhere, I really do like the leather furniture- it's very nice...
and the stockings are adorable! I admire your patience. I've done reasonable sewing projects before (mostly in the sewing class I took my senior year of HS)- but the last one I did a few years ago, I got so frustrated that I decided sewing was just not my thing. Maybe someday, I'll give it a try again, but not right now, so kudos to you!

(and my guesses are: Steve's is #3- the large blue plaid; yours: #5- the sage green plaid; child who will be traumatized for being the least favorite: #2- with the stars- because it doesn't seem to fit with the rest, just like your least favorite child will be an outcast that doesn't fit with the rest of the family... j/k :) -quite frankly, I think they are all pretty cute (I think the polka dot is one of my favorites because it looks like snow....))

thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

AAWW!!! The stockings turned out so well!! I'm so proud of "your"!!! Very nice furniture...I'm looking forward to you handing it down to our suster when she gets evicted from my home!!! Thank-Ur!!

Reggs said...

The stockings are so cute!! how smart to have them matching so early on. It will be a great heirloom for the kids!
I am going to guess that you like the sage green plaid stocking. Steven likes the large navy plaid stocking. And the hated child gets the polkas or the stars. They are the only ones not plaid, so that's my best guess. Even the hated child gets a cool stockin'.

Reggs said...

okay, i just realized i made the same guesses as that commenter above me. Dang it! Ok, i'll switch my guess. You like the red and green plaid, and steven likes the SMALL navy plaid. The weird kid still either goes stars or polkas. :D

Amber said...

Does this mean you're having 6 kids???????