15 December 2007

Christmas Time

Christmas is just right around the corner! Every year it seems to come & go so quickly! I look back on the times when I was a child and can remember how much fun it was to get presents under the tree (especially the BIG ones). But today, I sit here and think just how little presents really mean to me today. Don't get me wrong..it's nice to get a gift, but I really find more joy in giving a gift to someone else, and I get even happier when I'm deciding how to decorate the package. I love putting bows and ribbons on presents and making them look attractive.

I love looking at Christmas lights, hanging stockings, and all the little fun stuff that this wonderfuly holiday season allows me to do. I can't wait to get my own place where I can decorate and stuff up. I've decided I'm going to make our own stockings with my new sewing machine that my mother-in-law gave me. I'm not too much on making my own patterns, so I'll need a bit of help. Any one found a cute stocking that isn't TOO DIFFICULT to make, that would be something that I could make a few different styles of? I mean...I want them to all look similar, yet everyone's needs to be different. I'm not sure how many kids Steven & I will have, but I plan on making 5ish (maybe one more...you never know) and hopefully that will be enough. I'm kind of picky about what I like, though. Here are some samples of what I think is TACKY...


There are a FEW things I've found that I could consider, but nothing has really jumped out at me. What about something like these? I like a more modern type of stocking. I really detest the ones that everyone has...the typical red & green look with fuzzy stuff on the top. So, here's a sample of what I've found so far...I like them all, but I can't really decide how to do any of them AND I don't really have a clue how to start....any advice?



1 comment:

Julina said...

you don't like the peacock feathers??? (just kidding ;-)

I don't think you have to worry too much about ending up with tacky ones - your own eyes and fingers would rebel - your sense of good taste and what you like is too strong.

I found this as an extremely basic starting point:

http://www.butterick.com/bhc/pages/articles/kidspgs/stocking/stocking.htm

(it has the traditional "toe" and "heel" and "top" pieces but I don't see why you couldn't leave them off)...

But if that's a little *too* basic :-) I bet there are others - you'll figure it out...

(and then you can pass the pattern - and advice - on to your sisters-in-law for our own families... ;-)