30 September 2007

Primary kids

Most of you know I have recently been called to work with the children's organization of the LDS church. If the Lord has something in mind for me to do, I am very unaware of what that is right now. However, I am giving it my best shot. I can't say it's the easiest thing I've ever done--but even challenges have their reward (don't they?).

So today, when all 50 kids got together for the last 20 minutes of sharing time...the 5-year-olds were a disaster! Running over each other, tripping their friends, yelling, and just being totally obnoxious. So, after several times of getting onto the "rowdiest" of the group, I kindly asked them to scoot over and I sat between them (must I have to act like my mom at such an early age...I don't even have my own kids yet!).

After a few minutes of bonding with the kids, giving them the "evil eye" and trying to make them feel special and trying to get them to obey me (instead of hate me), it turned into quite a nice experience. The one I usually have trouble with said "My shoes are untied...can you help me?" He proceeded to put his little shoe on my lap, and told me just how to do it...loop this one, loop that one, pull them together in opposite directions, and then we have to do it again my mom says...you have to double knot them. After all was said and done...he said "yours looks better than my moms."


That put a smile on my face...the little rodent had just won me over...and he didn't even know it!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What is your calling in primary?

Tamara said...

1ST COUNSELOR....WHAT A JOY, EH?!?!?!?

Reggs said...

In my experience working in the primary, the most valuable tool you can have is a cattle prod. They seem to obey once you get the prod out and shake at them a couple of times. It's like magic. :D