29 June 2008

Been a while...

I know it's been a while, and I have been outta the whole blogging business. Sorry for that. I usually love posting pictures and rambling on and on about a variety of things. So, this time there is no picture to post, but a few updates nonetheless:


1. New apartment:
I am loving life! Things can not get much better than having a cute lil home to come to at the end of the day. Wedding gifts are finally out of their boxes and getting some good use out of them. It's amazing how much stuff/junk we've acquired together, and I'd almost forgotten about many of the things we have. It's been fun finding some hidden treasures lately!


2. New position:
Summer School began 2 weeks ago, and I'm teaching several 6th graders a basic writing class and a team building class in the afternoon. It is lots of work with very little down time. I overly plan so things go well during the day, and that also takes time. There is no break except for lunch which is 20 minutes, and sometimes I wonder why I look forward to it every year. And then I'm reminded---only 24 days of school, and you pocket about $4,000. THAT is the best part. With that money, we are going to pay off 2 student loans and buy some nice furniture for the living room. Now that is something to look forward to!


3. New husband:
Steven shaved off his goatee today. I know that looks don't really matter, but there is something about facial hair on men that drives me crazy...and on Steven, it is so adorable. Anyway, it is all gone. He is trying to do what is right, and we agreed that when we moved out on our own, a few things were going to change in our lives, and that we would try really hard to live the Gospel to the best of our abilities. One of the things was his facial hair. We've agreed that if he doesn't get called to work with the Young Men or the Elders Quorum, he might grow it back for a while. We'll see what happens, but for now...I'm missing it, but enjoying tickling his naked face!


4. Old job:
A week and a half ago, I was offered a teaching position at Oakland. I accepted the position and am really excited about it. It is my preferred place to teach, even though the kids are rougher around the edges, and that always means working hard, and lots of parent contacts during the year. I will be traveling a bit more than I had originally planned, but since it is what I want, and what will make me happiest, I accepted the position. I will be teaching Spanish 2, Spanish 1 advanced, and a regular Spanish 1. So, lots of work ahead (and I'll be a student myself), but I can do it.


Well, that will do it for now, I guess. I will try to get some pictures taken of our apartment and post them soon. Everything is finished now--pictures are on the wall, beds are set up, boxes are unpacked, and closets are full. It is nice to have everything in order.


I am truly blessed.
I have a wonderful job.
I am married to a great man who loves me and works hard to provide for our family.
I belong to a church who teaches me how to provide for myself and lean not on my own understanding, but on Divine Inspiration for me and my family.
I have a wonderful family who supports me, calls just to say hi, and who places value in things that can not be bought with money.
I am grateful for parents who have raised me well, for teachers who have taught me correct principles, and for siblings who have laughed and loved with me along the way, and for friends who have been there when I needed them the most.


Thank you to all of you for your examples, and for your love.

5 comments:

Elicia said...

Sounds like there are lots of great things going on for you! I'm glad that things are going so well. Congrats on the new job and all the fun things!

Julina said...

I wish I could get over there to see your new place - but it's looking like Sept before that will happen. I'm glad your getting settled in and having fun :-)

I'm also glad you got to go back to Oakland - luckily Columbia isn't so huge that it's a major commute. Does it mean you'll get to re-use planning/materials from previous years (so you don't have *quite* as much work to do?)

You're blessed with a husband that holds the priesthood so that he can give you a blessing when things start to get hairy. Yea for marriage and priesthood (and of course, for my brother ;-)

Have a good week

The Ottley's said...

Welcome to the sweet life!

Emily S. said...

fun update! I'm glad things are feeling more settled. I really look forward to coming and visiting you guys in your new place. I love that you are finally able to "nest" into a place of your own...

And hang in there with the summer school. That's what I'm trying to do!!

ollie said...

lets see a picture of the new hubby! Sounds like you guys have had a lot goin' on. Hope you like the new job!!!!