25 June 2010

Just because I can....

Here are a few pics of our recent trip
to Greece, Italy, & Spain.

Don't be too jealous!

GREECE--

This first pic comes from the METEORA region of Greece.  We visited 2 monasteries (one for nuns, and the other for monks).  There were originally over 25 built on the rocks of Meteora, but today only 5 are still standing.  A.Maze.Ing.

This second pic, is obviously, from the acropolis. Sorry about the random guy's head in the foreground. He wouldn't move.  R-u-de.  Anyway, we hiked up to the top in over 100 degree weather, at 2pm, right in the middle of the hot-ness, having had no lunch.  Yes, I can't believe it myself.  This is only ONE of the many "unbelievable" things that happened to us (that were not-so-pleasant).  But we'll save the ugly part of the trip for later.  Regardless, it was amazing to see such sites as this.

We took a day cruise to 3 of the Greek isles: Poros, Hydra, & Aegina.  This was my favorite place to shop, relax, and enjoy the atmosphere of Greece.  My favorite souvenirs came from Greece.  It was hotter than hot, let me tell you.  BUT, well worth it!
ITALY--

Of course, who can go to Italy without going to Pisa?!  Little did I know, the leaning tower wasn't the only thing around...there was an entire square of things to visit and see.  In the background, you can see the famous tower...but the cathedral in the middle was quite impressive!  The large round building you see a small piece of on the left was the baptistery...and oh my!  It was incredible.  Steven has a video of the acoustics demonstration...it is something to look forward to seeing!

SPAIN--

This is only part of the famous cathedral, La Sagrada Familia, the Holy Family. It will take over 200 years to complete.  No, we didn't get to go inside...but to walk around the entire square was simply breathtaking.  The total cost of building this is astronomical, but I'd love to go back and see it if it is finished in my lifetime.

Well, folks.  That's only a small sample of the amazing time we had in Europe these past few days.  GREAT food. GREAT sites. GREAT souvenirs.  

Who could ask for more?

4 comments:

Emily S. said...

Can't WAIT to hear more stories!!! Hooray for Europe! :)

The Ottley's said...

I pretty much hate you!

Peeser said...

Um, I'm asking for more- next time, take me with you!!! :)

I'm glad you had an overall good time- I'm happy you got to go, sad I didn't, and excited to hear more of your European adventures! Welcome home!

Beckie said...

I want more, I want more!!! More in the form of more pix, more stories, and general info. I feel your hot Acropolis pain, and we didn't even go in such extreme conditions as you...just say you didn't drink garbage water. Can't wait to see you guys and visit about the trip!